Why join us?
B&ES membership is open to UK firms engaged in the design, installation, commissioning and/or maintenance of heating, ventilating, refrigeration, air conditioning, ductwork, plumbing, facilities services and energy management systems.
All B&ES members are subject to regular third-party competence assessment. Currently, BESCA administers this process using the services of BM TRADA a recognised certification body with a sound track record in the construction industry.
Potential members must undergo independent competence assessment prior to admission - and this complete inspection will take place for the first two years thereafter. Assessment is then repeated for all members every year with a full site inspection at least every three years.
The assessment will cover commercial capability – including such matters as administrative and business systems, financial and training records, insurance arrangements, and health and safety, environmental and equal opportunities policies and their application.
Additionally, it is designed to evaluate technical competence. This takes place on-site and involves the inspection of work in progress against a broad range of standards, devised and simplified by the B&ES in collaboration with the Building Services Research and Information Association (BSRIA).
Download Key service contacts
KEY MEMBER BENEFITS
Health & safety advice
Education & Training advice
Engineering Services SKILLcard registration
Tailored employee benefits
A badge of quality
B&ES independent competence assessment means that B&ES members: are enabled to satisfy tender conditions relating to health and safety in respect of:
- automatic registration with the HSE supported 'Safety Schemes in Procurement' (SSIP) website avoiding the need to belong to other health & safety registration schemes whererever possible.
- are assisted in qualifying for membership of a Competent Persons scheme operated by Building Engineering Services Competence Accreditation Ltd (BESCA), and so are able to self-certify work they carry out in relation to Parts F,G J and L of the Building Regulations;
- are pre-qualified for registration under the Government-inspired TrustMark scheme in England and Wales, and other partners to the SSIP because the core H&S checks have been satisfied under 'deemed to satisfy' arrangements;
- receive a discount on their subscription to Constructionline, the Government-backed national register of contractors competent to undertake public sector projects.
In the wider context, the B&ES is itself a member of:
- the Specialist Engineering Contractors' (SEC) Group, which provides a united voice for engineering specialists;
- the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Industry Board (ACRIB), which brings contractors together with manufacturers, consulting engineers and specifiers;
- GCI-UICP, the European umbrella body for the hvacr and plumbing industries;
- CEETB, the principal European organisation representing all engineering specialists in construction;
- the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration European Association (AREA).
The membership process is as follows:
1. Complete and pass a Health & Safety assessment confirming compliance with the requirements of Safety Schemes in Procurement (SSIP).
2. Complete and pass an on-site technical assessment to confirm the technical competence of the organisation.
3. Pay the membership subscription of the Association, Click here to download.
HOW TO JOIN
For more information email membership services manager Val O'Reilly here.
Call Val direct on 020 7313 4907